Scientist Bioinformatics and Comparative Genomics
Armata Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biotechnology company advancing the development of precisely targeted bacteriophage therapeutics for the treatment of drug-resistant bacterial infections.
The Bioinformatics Scientist will be expected to contribute to the company’s effort in developing natural and engineered bacteriophage-based antimicrobial drug cocktails. He or she will be embedded within the early discovery pipeline to help sequence, annotate, compare and characterize the candidate phages, their host and define pathways towards optimal cocktail compositions along with their improvement through synthetic biology. In addition, the incumbent will be expected to advocate for NGS and bioinformatics capabilities throughout the company providing guidance and assistance with management and analyses of large datasets and/or designing new approaches to quality control. This is an opportunity with tremendous growth potential within an expanding biotech. We are looking for an individual with excellent interpersonal skills capable of translating the complexities of biological systems into informative in silico models to inform laboratory experiments and decision processes. Opportunities exist to expand into other sectors of the development pipeline.
- Manage, operate and improve the company’s NGS pipeline using the most appropriate resources to meet goals, technical proficiency of target users and timelines
- Develop and implement computational methods and pipelines to genomically characterize bacteriophages, their hosts and analyze the basis of their interactions
- Proactively interface with other departments within the company to evaluate and address unmet data analysis needs as well as participate in the development of experimental designs
- Consult with researchers to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions, or determine computational strategies
- Develop data models and databases
- Instruct others in the selection and use of bioinformatics tools
- Maintain laboratory notebook and accurate records of daily experiments
- Generate high quality reports as needed to support the company’s development
- Understand and comply with company standard operating procedures and safety procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- PhD in a relevant field (bioinformatics, comparative genomics, computational biology, etc.). An MSc with 3-5 years of extremely relevant experience may also be considered.
- Must have experience in genome assembly and functional annotation from NGS datasets
- Must have comparative genomics experience
- Hands on experience with a variety of NGS technologies from DNA extraction to data analysis is highly desirable
- Prior experience in microbiology, especially with bacteriophages and their hosts is highly desirable
- Understanding of quality control processes and specific requirements is a plus
- Excellent English communication and reading/writing skills
- Must be reliable, organized, detail oriented, and a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision
- Strong team-player and able to work well in small groups and independently
Working Conditions: This is a full-time position for work in a laboratory environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is little to no travel required for this position with the exception of required training and possible conference or event attendance.
Position is salaried and is eligible for performance bonus. Pay is competitive and commensurate with skill set and experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, vacation plan, and 401(k). Consideration for future stock option grants may be available.
Send cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org