Research Associate I DNA Sequencing and Genetic Engineering
Armata Pharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biotechnology company advancing the development of precisely targeted bacteriophage therapeutics for the treatment of drug-resistant bacterial infections.
The Research Associate I position will be integrated to the discovery and biological engineering team and assist with efforts to identify new bacteriophages, characterize their microbiological and genomic features and help develop engineering pipelines. Opportunities exist to expand into other sectors of the development pipeline.
- Grow and maintain bacterial cultures and bacteriophage stocks
- Extract and purify DNA from bacteriophages, plasmids and bacteria
- Perform plasmid, phage and bacterial genome sequencing as needed (Sanger, Illumina and/or minion technologies)
- Assist in the cloning of plasmids, engineering of bacteria and phages as needed
- Contribute to screening efforts for the isolation and characterization of new bacteriophages
- Maintain laboratory notebook and accurate records of daily experiments
- Understand and comply with company standard operating procedures and safety procedures
- Read and understand scientific language, literature and publications as necessary
- Assist in general upkeep of laboratory and maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Microbiology, Cell Biology, genetic engineering, synthetic biology or related field with experience in microbiology
- Must have prior laboratory experience in a lab or research setting
- Must have Experience with DNA sequencing (Sanger sequencing and/or next generation sequencing)
- Must be proficient in aseptic techniques and general microbiological techniques (streaking, plating, storing micro-organisms)
- Experience with genetic engineering highly desirable (plasmid cloning, bacterial genome engineering and/or bacteriophage modification).
- Ability to quickly integrate into a fast-paced team, learning new techniques and protocols as needed
- Excellent English communication and reading/writing skills
- Must be reliable, organized, detail oriented, and a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision
- Strong team-player and able to work well in small groups and independently
- Familiarity with bacteriophages a plus but not required
This is a full-time position for work in a laboratory environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is little to no travel required for this position with the exception of required training and possible conference or event attendance.
Position is eligible for performance bonus. Pay is competitive and commensurate with skill set and experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, vacation plan, and 401(k). Consideration for future stock option grants may be available.
Send cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org